Family Empowerment Representatives

Family Empowerment Representatives are volunteers who provide emotional support, information and resources to families affected by Rett syndrome. Contacting them should be your first step.

National Family Empowerment Representative

Samantha Brant – Family & Community Engagement Manager, International Rett Syndrome Foundation
[email protected]  1-913-221-8157

Family Empowerment Representative

Shannon Stoiber-Darrah, volunteer Family Empowerment Representative,  [email protected]  1-913-302-7498

Treatment and Research Centers

Your child may be able to participate in studies and trials to advance treatment and knowledge of Rett syndrome. There are clinics specializing in Rett syndrome that can help you provide Rett-specific care for your child.

Clinical Trials

Rett syndrome clinical trials are available at various stages in the process. Please visit our Clinical Trial page for current enrollment status.


St. Louis Children's Hospital

Visit St. Louis Children’s Hospital Website
1-314-454-6120 Appointments, Wendy Sanders – Care Coordinator
The St. Louis Children’s Hospital’s Rett Spectrum Clinic is a collaboration between Washington University School of Medicine and St. Louis Children’s Hospital.  Within a clinic visit, patients and their families will meet with several caregivers including neurology, therapy, and nutrition along with other specialists as needed.

State Agencies & Resources

Local Service Agencies

Aging and Disability Resource Center (ADRC)

ADRC is a trusted source of information where people of all ages, abilities and income levels – and their caregivers – can go to obtain assistance in planning for their future long-term service and support needs.

Kansas Special Health Care Needs (SHCN) Program

Visit Kansas Special Health Care Needs Program Website
The Kansas Special Health Care Needs (SHCN) Program SHCN provides specialized medical services to infants, children and youth up to age 21 who have eligible medical conditions. Services may include diagnostic evaluations, treatment services or care coordination and must be prior authorized.


Visit FamiliesTogether,Inc Website
FamiliesTogether assists Kansas parents and their children who have disabilities or special health care needs.

The Dream Factory of Greater Kansas City

Visit The Dream Factory of Greater Kansas City Website
Since 1985, the Dream Factory of Greater Kansas City has been dedicated to making dreams come true for critically or chronically ill children. As a 100 percent volunteer organization, granting dreams is their mission.

State Medicaid

View Kansas Medicaid Waivers

View Kansas Medicaid Waivers
Kansas currently has six waivers that are open to children. All are HCBS Medicaid waivers and these programs waive parental income.

TA Program

Visit TA Program Website
The TA Program serves individuals ages 0 through 21 years who are chronically ill or medically fragile and dependent upon a ventilator or medical device and who require ongoing daily care by a nurse comparable to the level of care provided in a hospital setting; or an individual who is at imminent risk of hospitalization, whose illness or disability, in the absence of home care services, would require admission to a hospital.

Children's Resource Connection

Visit Children’s Resource Connection Website
Children’s Resource Connection Contact Children’s Resource Connection for information about TA program and eligibility. Email [email protected].

Home and Community Based Services Intellectual/Developmentally Disabled (I/DD) Program

Visit Home and Community Based Services Intellectual/Developmentally Disabled Program Website
The Home and Community Based Services Intellectual/Developmentally Disabled (I/DD) program serves individuals age five and older who meet the definition of intellectual disability. The “single point of entry” into the HCBS I/DD Program in Kansas is your local Community Developmental Disability Organization (CDDO).  For more information, email [email protected].
View CDDO Contacts

Physically Disabled (PD) Program

Visit Physically Disabled (PD) Program Website
The Physical Disabilities Program serves individuals age 16 to 65 years of age who meet the criteria for nursing facility placement due to their physical disability, who are determined disabled by social security standards, and who are Medicaid eligible. Contact your local ADRC to find out about the Physical Disabilities Program.  You can apply through your local CCDO.  For more information, email [email protected].

Early Intervention

Kansas Infant Toddler Services

Visit Kansas Infant Toddler Services Website

Kansas Infant Toddler Services is administered by the Kansas Department of Health and Environment (KDHE). KDHE provides early intervention services for infants and toddlers with disabilities (birth through 2) and their families. Contact your local agencies for services.
View Infant Toddler Services Local Agencies
View Infant-Toddler Resources & Links


Kansas Special Education Services

Visit Kansas Special Education Services Website
Kansas Special Education Services For more information, contact Colleen Riley [email protected].


Kansas Guardianship Program (KGP)

Visit Kansas Guardianship Program Website
KGP offers information and advocacy services to assist with the guardianship process.

Transition to Adult Services

Kansas Transition to Adult Services

The transition process should begin by age 14 and information about the student’s needs during the transition process should be included in the IEP during that process. By 16, the IEP must include a coordinated set of services designed specifically to transition students from school to post-school outcomes. The IEP must include a statement of needed transition services and any external agency involvement. The Kansas definition of an IEP says that the transition IEP should be a part of the general IEP, and not a separate plan. It should be coordinated in accordance with the related services discussed in the general IEP of the student. However, it should be specific to post-secondary goals and should be geared towards preparation for the future and goals for future that are relevant to the individual’s strengths and interests.

View KBS Kansas Resources and Tools for Transitioning to Adulthood

Vocational Rehabilitation (VR)

Visit Vocational Rehabilitation Website
Vocational Rehabilitation (VR) services empower Kansans with disabilities to become gainfully employed and self-sufficient.
View Application for VR services

Handicap Placard

Kansas Department of Revenue (DOR)

Visit Kansas Department of Revenue Website
The Kansas Department of Revenue (DOR) issues the placards and license plates. Your doctor’s medical certification will determine whether you get a temporary or permanent permit. You can apply for a handicap parking placard from the Kansas DOR by mail or in person. Mail or take your application to your local KS county treasurer’s office.

If you have favorite resources to share with others, please email that information and your experience to [email protected].

Legal Resources & Information

Disability Rights Center of Kansas (DRC)

Visit Disability Rights Center of Kansas Website
The Disability Rights Center of Kansas (DRC) is a public interest legal advocacy agency empowered by federal law to advocate for the civil and legal rights of Kansans with disabilities.

Additional Resources

Rocky Mountain Rett Association

Visit Rocky Mountain Rett Association Website
The Rocky Mountain Rett Association (RMRA) was founded for three reasons; to fund research for the development of treatments & cures for Rett Syndrome and related MeCP2 disorders, to support families suffering from Rett, and to raise awareness for Rett Syndrome.
Rocky Mountain Rett Association
PO Box 1294
Morrison, Colorado 80465
(720) 234-7673
Email [email protected]

Go All In For Rett!
Raise Awareness
Donate Now