Family Empowerment Representatives

Family Empowerment Representatives are volunteers who provide emotional support, information and resources to families affected by Rett syndrome. Contacting them should be your first step.

National Family Empowerment Representative

Samantha Brant – Family & Community Engagement Manager, International Rett Syndrome Foundation
[email protected]  1-913-221-8157

Family Empowerment Representative

Patty Mevis, volunteer Family Empowerment Representative, GreenBay
[email protected] 1-920-819-2508

Treatment and Research Centers

Your child may be able to participate in studies and trials to advance treatment and knowledge of Rett syndrome. There are clinics specializing in Rett syndrome that can help you provide Rett-specific care for your child.

Clinical Trials

Rett syndrome clinical trials are available at various stages in the process. Please visit our Clinical Trial page for current enrollment status.

State Agencies & Resources

Local Service Agencies

Aging and Disability Resource Centers (ADRC)

Visit Aging and Disability Resource Centers (ADRC) Website
ADRC offers information and assistance on services matching your family’s needs. Contact your local county ADRC office for more information. Disability Benefit Specialists within ADRC can answer questions regarding Social Security, Medicare, health insurance, and other public and private benefits for people with disabilities.

View County ADRC Offices

State Medicaid

The Katie Beckett Program

Visit The Katie Beckett Program Website
The Katie Beckett Program is a special eligibility process that allows certain children with long-term disabilities, mental illness, or complex medical needs, living at home with their families, to obtain a Wisconsin Forward Health Medicaid card. Children who are not eligible for other Medicaid programs due to income restrictions may be eligible through the Katie Beckett Program even if they are currently covered under a private health insurance policy. For more information, contact the Katie Beckett Program Consultant in your county.

Katie Beckett Program Consultants

Wisconsin's Children's Long-Term Support Waivers (CLTS)

Visit Wisconsin’s Children’s Long-Term Support Waivers (CLTS) Website
CLTS Waivers make Medicaid funding available to children who are living at home or in the community and who have substantial limitations due to developmental, emotional, or physical disabilities. Funding may be used to support a range of services that are identified based on an assessment of your child’s needs and goals. Wisconsin has three CLTS Waivers, one for each category of disability: developmental disabilities, severe emotional disabilities, and physical disabilities. Some children will qualify for more than one Waiver. To apply, contact your county Social Service or Human Service Agency.

County Social Service and Human Service Agencies

Early Intervention

Birth to 3 Program

Visit Birth to 3 Program Website
The Birth to 3 Program is a federally mandated Early Intervention program to support families of children with developmental delays or disabilities under the age of three. To apply, contact your county Primary Point of Referral.


Wisconsin Department of Public Instruction

Visit Wisconsin Department of Public Instruction Website
Wisconsin Department of Public Instruction’s Special Education Team oversees special education services 1-608-266-1781.

Wisconsin Statewide Parent-Educator Initiative (WSPEI)

Visit Wisconsin Statewide Parent-Educator Initiative (WSPEI) Website
WSPEI is a service for families, educators, and others interested in parent-educator partnerships for children with disabilities.  They support increased sharing of information among parents, schools, projects, organizations and agencies through networking meetings, conferences, person-to-person contact, and media.


Wisconsin Courts

Visit Wisconsin Courts Website
Wisconsin Courts have online forms and tools for conservatorship.

Transition to Adult Services

County Aging & Disability Resource Center (ADRC)

Visit County Aging & Disability Resource Center (ADRC) Website
Young people with disabilities, who receive services and supports as children, will also need to consider how to find services and supports as adults. If you are a teen or young adult receiving services as a child, or if you are the parent of a young adult, it is important to start planning for the transition to adulthood as early as possible.  ADRC can help.

Department of Vocational Rehabilitation (DVR)

Visit Department of Vocational Rehabilitation (DVR) Website
1-262-548-58800 – Deanna Krell
1-608-261-0060 – Sarah Lincoln
The DVR partners with the Department of Public Instruction (DPI) and the Department of Health Services (DHS) to provide a smooth transition from school to the world of work and community services. Contact Deanna Krell,  [email protected]  or  Sarah Lincoln,  [email protected]. 

Handicap Placard

State of Wisconsin Department of Transportation

Visit State of Wisconsin Department of Transportation Website
The DOT issues handicap placards. Complete the application and have it signed by a medical professional (acceptable professions listed in the Eligibility section on the application). Mail or submit application in person to your local WISDOT office. Applications submitted in person are subject to a fee. Handicap placards must be renewed every 4 years.

If you have favorite resources to share with others, please email that information and your experience to [email protected].

Medical Professionals

Marshfield Clinic Chippewa Falls Dental Center

Visit Marshfield Clinic Chippewa Falls Dental Center Website
Dentists and hygienists at the Marshfield Clinic take people with Medicaid and people without any insurance. They specialize in caring for people with disabilities who need extra help to get through a checkup and cleaning.

Dr. Deb McLeish

Dr. McLeish is a Physiatrist at UWHC Madison and St. Mary’s Hospital.  She is board certified in Pediatrics, Physical Medicine and Rehabilitation, and Pediatric Rehabilitation.

Dr. Ken Noonan

Dr. Noonan is an Orthopedic Surgeon at UWHC Madison and also sees patients at St. Mary’s Hospital Gait Clinic.

Dr. Elizabeth Moberg

Dr. Moberg practices Pediatric Rehab Medicine at Children’s Hospital of Wisconsin, Milwaukee.

Dr. Amy Grelle

Dr Grelle is a Family Medicine Physician in Cross Plains, WI.

Dr. Christina Iyama

Dr. Iyama specializes in Developmental Pediatrics at the Waisman Center in Madison.


Three Gaits Therapeutic Horsemanship Center, Stoughton, WI 


Legal Resources & Information

WisPACT, Inc

Visit WisPACT, Inc Website
WisPACT is a private nonprofit organization that administers pooled and community Special Needs Trusts for more than 2000 people with disabilities in Wisconsin.  They are based in Madison, 1-608-268-6006.

Attorney Roy Froemming

Visit Attorney Roy Froemming Website
Froemming Law offers resources for Special Needs Trusts and information on SSI for people with disabilities, 1-608-663-2747.


Wisconsin State Parks, Forests and Recreation Areas

Visit Wisconsin State Parks, Forests and Recreation Areas Website
This site has a map of accessible options.

Additional Resources

Wisconsin IRSF Families Facebook

Visit Wisconsin International Rett Syndrome Foundation Families Facebook

Click and ask to join!

Katy's Kloset

Katy’s Kloset is a nonprofit lending library that accepts donations of gently used durable medical equipment, 1-262-746-9034.

Living Our Visions, Inc. (LOV-Dane) 

Visit Living Our Visions, Inc. (LOV-Dane) Website 
LOV-Dane is a grassroots organization of individuals with disabilities, their families, friends and community members building fulfilling and community-centered lives for all citizens.

Hancock Center for Dance/Movement Therapy