Arkansas Resources

Family Empowerment Representatives | Treatment and Research Centers | AR State Agencies | Parent Recommendations

Family Empowerment Representatives

Family Empowerment Representatives are volunteers who provide emotional support, information and resources to families affected by Rett syndrome.  Contacting them should be your first step.

Samantha Brant - Family & Community Engagement Manager,

Treatment and Research Centers

Clinical Sites - none at this time

Signifies site involved with the Natural History Study

The objective of this study is to gather as much data as possible about children and adults with Rett syndrome. This includes information about nutrition, development, and height & weight measurements. This data will stimulate more clinical research and better prepare us for future clinical trials. 

Other Research Studies- none at this time

State Agencies - Arkansas

Local Service Agencies 

Division of Developmental Disabilities Services (DDS)


The Division of Developmental Disabilities Services Children’s Services provides case management/care coordination for children birth to 21 years of age. The Division of DDS is responsible for the overall coordination of services for Arkansans with developmental disabilities. The Division’s of DDS Director’s office is the point of contact for the public. 

Medical Home Arkansas 

Medical Home Arkansas assists all families and health care professionals who provide nurture and care for children with special health care needs has county resource listings.

Family-2-Family Health Information Center of Arkansas (F2F HIC)

The Family-2-Family Health Information Center of Arkansas (F2F HIC) is a non-profit family-run organization that assists families of children and youth with special health care needs (CYSHCN) and the professionals who serve them. They provide health-related support, information, resources and training.

Arkansas Disability Coalition

ADC Arkansas Disability Coalition Resources

Title V Children with Special Health Care Needs (CSHCN)

Title V Children with Special Health Care Needs (CSHCN) Service Coordination staff consists of Registered Nurses, Social Workers and clerical support located in 16 DHS offices around the State of Arkansas.

DHS County Offices

The Arc Arkansas

The Arc Arkansas provides supports, housing, advocacy, education and leadership to people with disabilities and their families.

Handicap Placard

Arkansas DFA

Arkansas DFA issues handicap placards through local Revenue Offices. Permanent placards expire four (4) years from the last day of the month issued. A re-certification is not require for renewal. Temporary placards expire three (3) months from the last day of the month issued. A person certified as temporarily disabled may receive no more than two (2) temporary placards, which must have the same expiration date. Under no circumstances can a person certified with a temporary disability receive a permanent placard. Application requires Licensed Physician's Certification Form 10-336, certifying permanent disability.  Applications should be submitted to your local Revenue Office.

Arkansas Revenue Offices

State Medicaid 

Arkansas Medicaid 


To apply for Medicaid, go to the Department of Human Services (DHS) office in the county where you live. (Listed Below) The county office will determine your eligibility.

Medicaid Application

ARKids First


ARKids First health insurance provides two coverage options for Arkansas children. ARKids A is Medicaid for children and offers low-income families a comprehensive package of benefits. ARKids B provides coverage for families with higher incomes. You can get an ARKids First application by calling the toll-free hotline Monday through Friday from 8 a.m. until 4:30 p.m. You do not have to visit a DHS office. You can also apply online. 

Arkansas Waivers

Arkansas currently has three waivers that are open to children. Two are HCBS 1915(c) Medicaid waivers and one is a TEFRA-like program. The TEFRA-like program waive s parental income.

TEFRA Home Care for Children


Also known as the Katie Beckett option, TEFRA is a category of Medicaid that provides care to disabled children in their homes rather than in institutions. To qualify for TEFRA benefits, the child must be disabled according to the Supplemental Security Income (SSI) definition of disability and must meet the medical-necessity requirement for institutional care. Apply at your DHS County Office.

DHS County Offices

Alternative Community Services ACS Waiver 


Alternative Community Services ACS Waiver provides case management, respite, supported employment, supportive living, specialized medical supplies, adaptive equipment, community transition, consultation, crisis intervention, environmental mods, supplemental support for individuals with autism, IIDR, or DD, ages 0 to no maximum age.  Call to apply. 

Early Intervention

First Connections Program


The First Connections Program provides Early Intervention Services for children birth to 3 years of age. The DHS is the Lead Agency for the Program. The DDS is the division within DHS, which has administrative responsibility for implementation of the program. DHS Program Coordinators and a Program Administrator provide intake, service option presentations, individual social history development, referrals, transition to Early Childhood, individual service coordination (case management), obtaining and maintaining client data tracking information and case notes. 

Early Childhood (Ages 3-5) Special Education Coordinators


Arkansas Department of Education Special Education Unit

Arkansas Department of Education Special Education Unit has information about the process of special education in Arkansas 

Special Education Curriculum and Assessment

K-12 Special Education Supervisors

Centralized Intake and Referral / Consultant Unified Intervention Team (CIRCUIT) 

Centralized Intake and Referral / Consultant Unified Intervention Team (CIRCUIT)  connects parents, guardians, caregivers, school personnel, or any other concerned party to a regional cadre of special education consultants.  CIRCUIT can assist in interventions for students with sensory disabilities, multiple physical disabilities, behavior, and autism spectrum disorders.

Parent Special Education Resource Links


Conservatorship is a legal proceeding in which an individual or agency (to be known as the "conservator") is appointed by a court to be responsible for a person who needs assistance in daily living. Check with your child's high school or your county Superior Court Probate Office for information on Self Help Clinics. This process should start 6 months before the 18th birthday.

Arkansas Legal Services


Arkansas Legal Services has information on guardianship and provides legal aid.

Transition to Adult Services

Arkansas Transition Services

Arkansas Transition Services serves all 75 counties in Arkansas in an effort to improve transition outcomes for students with disabilities. Transition planning ensures that a student continues to receive the support needed from  appropriate agencies, even if the plan is not for the individual to attend traditional college.  Transition planning must begin by the first IEP held after the student reaches age 16.

Keys to Successful Transition 

Parent Recommendations

If you have favorite resources to share with others, please email that information and your experience to

Medical Professionals

This site has a comprehensive listing of clinical studies involving Rett Syndrome patients or families.

Therapy ( PT, OT, Speech, Hippotherapy and Aquatherapy)

Legal Resources

Disability Rights Arkansas (DRA)

Disability Rights Arkansas (DRA) is  the independent Protection and Advocacy system for persons with disabilities in Arkansas.  DRA collaborates with other disability rights and civil rights organizations and agencies, the private bar and legal services to accomplish its goals and objectives.


More Parent Recommendations